Photos courtesy Pearl June Fowler Gossack FHS '45.
Her Grandfather, Frank Fowler was a member of the volunteer fire department
Geological acton over the ages formed the Shenango Valley's landscape. Glaciers cut a mammouth hollow which almost severed Farrell. Idaho Street was located on the North side of the Hollow and Haywood Street on the South Side.
The first issue of The Sharon Herald was published on April 11, 1864.
In 1902 Lot No. 158 on Darr Avenue was purchased for $370.00 as the site for the borough's jail.
In 1902 a street lighting system was adopted. Lamplighters-for-a-day volunteered to trample through rain and snow to start the gaslights. Millworkers who had to leave their homes during the late hours no longer were solely dependent on the lanterns they carried.
In 1902 the first school board moved to secure a $2,500.00 loan to purchase a school building . This two story structure became known as the Lincoln Building
In 1902 the Colonial Trust Company advertised that it was the first bank in Mercer County to pay four per cent interest on time deposits, the first to open on Saturday evenings for the convenience of the people, and the first bank in the county to install an electric alarm system in its building, making its vaults absolutely burglar proof.
At a meeting on April 14, 1903, the borough council approved the building of the South Sharon Fire Station and voted to set the total cost of the lot and building at not over $3000.00 (later raised to $5,990.00).
In 1936 the movement to consolidate Farrell with Sharon as a greater Buhl City was defeated eleven to one. With the steel plants contributing much toward Farrell's tax fund, local property owners enjoyed low taxation and felt their per capita taxes would have to be raised had the towns consolidated.
In 1937 Farrell's third Post Office opened at the corner of Spearman Avenue and Haywood Street. The new modern facility cost $100,000 to build.
The Shenango River overflowed its banks during the great flood of 1913. An accumulation of 16.87 feet of water devastated the area, particularly Sharon, Broadway and the steel mills.
The great snow storm of 1950 dumped 29 inches of snow on Farrell crippling the city for four days. Volunteers worked to clear the town's main arteries for emergency travel and millworkers formed shovel-gangs to open the Sharon Steel Corporation mills.
On August 14, 1951, during Farrell's Golden Jubilee celebration, Haywood Street was renamed Roemer Boulevard in honor of Henry Roemer then President of Sharon Steel Corporation.
On the afternoon of May 31, 1985 a devastating 6 hour storm of tornados swept across Western Pennsylvania with an F-5 twister touching down in Wheatland, Pennsylvania, cutting a 47-mile long swath. It killed 18 people and injured at least 310 more.